Hiking After Work in Tucson, AZ [Hidden Canyon Bowen Trail Loop]

I set out, in the middle of the afternoon, towards the Hidden Canyon Bowen Trail Loop. I was able to fit this loop trail, as well as another short hike from a nearby trailhead, in before dark.


 

Where is the Hidden Canyon Bowen Trail Loop?

The trail is on the southwest side of Tucson, on the edge of Tucson Mountain Park. The trailhead may be a little tricky to find the first time you visit. It's located behind the JW Marriott Starr Pass property, and I had to travel through most of the resort to get there. I parked on the side of the road, next to the trailhead, and did not experience any issues.

What should you expect on the trail?

The trail is a relatively short two-mile loop. I only saw a couple of other hikers out on the trail when I visited in February. There isn't much elevation gain, which makes it suitable for most hikers. I would suggest choosing stable footwear, however, as there are some loose rocks and stones along the trail. I would also advise bringing enough water for the season, and temperatures, you will be hiking in.

While I did not encounter any, I'm told it's quite possible to encounter wildlife here. Deer and bobcats are known to frequent the area. There are a variety of cacti around the trail, and if you visit during the spring, you can see blooming saguaros and wildflowers. What I did encounter were pretty fantastic views, without having to work too hard, and without seeing many other hikers.

I finished this hike pretty quickly and had time to squeeze in another short hike before dark. If you are in the mood for a longer hike, you can head west on the Bowen Trail, to the Yetman Trail. You can also opt to move your vehicle to the Starr Pass Trailhead, which is what I did, and explore from there.Tucson Mountain Park offers around 60 miles of shared use non-motorized trails.



Is there a fee for hiking the Hidden Canyon Bowen Trail Loop?

No. Tucson Mountain Park does not charge admission, and I did not incur a fee for parking along the side of the road near the trailhead.

During what hours are the trail and/or trailhead available?

Most of the trails and trailheads in Tucson Mountain Park are accessible from dawn until dusk.  

 


 Check out the YouTube video!


 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hiking After Work in Tucson, Arizona - [Brown Mountain Trail]

Overnight Backpacking Loop in Virginia: Three Ridges Wilderness

White Mountains - Day 4 [Franconia Brook Trail]